Monday, April 21, 2008

What A Weekend!!!


This weekend was probably the best so far for me on the birding front. I spent Saturday morning out a Lake Monticello again. The bird activity most definitely picked up since last weekend. It was bright sunny day and was perfect for bird watching!


There were two Flickers that were spending time feeding on the ground out by the lake when I first got there. I then noticed this Loggerhead Shrike on the pavilion and seemed to be watching the Flickers. Check out Aunt B's Backyard for some great shots of a Northern Flicker.





As I was leaving the lake, I noticed a Belted Kingfisher perched on this dead tree. He was 'posing' and I got as many pics as I could! As I was watching, he just took off and dove straight into the water. I was shocked but then he re-emerged and took his perch again. I guess he either saw a fish or needed to cool off!




Check back later this week to hear about the trips that we took to Cane Creek State Park near Star City. I'm still going through the pics and all of my field notes. It was a great trip. My little 'birding buddy' went with us on Sunday. She loved it!

Good Birding and God Bless!

1 comment:

Janice G McAllister said...

Hello Karl, So great reading your blog and had no idea you enjoy bird watching as much as I. Early morning ritual with Ollie & me is to feed our little critters then watch the beautiful birds, chipmunks and squirrels. Miss seeing you and Shelley, Hugs, Janice & Ollie McAllister - Hot Springs Village

 

Spring Countdown Timer

Blogging Since June 2007

Nature Blog Network

Search This Blog

Birding Top 500 Counter

My Backyard Regulars

My Backyard Regulars







Add to Technorati Favorites

About Me

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev Site Random Site Next Site
Linking Birders Worldwide Join

Live Traffic Feed