Monday, February 4, 2008

Chickadee with a Racing Stripe!


I got another treat during my trip to the Grand Canyon. I was able to observe another species of the Chickadee. This chickadee is very similar to the Carolina Chickadees here in the eastern part of North America. They are very small and flighty birds. Here in Arkanas and in other areas, the Carolina Chickadees are almost always seen with a flock of Tufted Titmice.


These chickadees are unique to the species as they are the only one with a white eyestripe. The white eyebrow can be clearly seen the pic below as he is feeding. The Mountain Chickadee is just like the Carolina Chickadee, very quick.

These chickadees were also seen with their buddies, in the west they are the Juniper Titmouse.

Thanks for visiting & God Bless!

5 comments:

Veery said...

Great sighting! They are not around our area so seeing one would be exciting.

Good birding to you!

J. Karl Clampit said...

I was very excited to be able to see other species from the Western U.S. during my trip! The Grand Canyon was beautiful. Thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to see some really great birds. In PA I live in the mixing zone between Black-capped and Carolina Chickadees which causes some confusion because they are so much alike in plumage.But if I'm not mistaken I think that the Mountain Chickadee is the closest relative of the Black-caped.
Vern

Moe said...

Nice sighting! I've never seen one before!

Larry said...

What a great bird to see! I've been trying to get a look at the Boreal Chickadee when I travel north but no luck yet.-Congratulations!

 

Spring Countdown Timer

Blogging Since June 2007

Nature Blog Network

Search This Blog

Birding Top 500 Counter

My Backyard Regulars

My Backyard Regulars







Add to Technorati Favorites

About Me

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev Site Random Site Next Site
Linking Birders Worldwide Join

Live Traffic Feed