Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Birdwatching At Lake Monticello

This afternoon, Bailey (our Cocker Spaniel) and I went bird watching at Lake Monticello. I was hoping that we would get to see a few new birds that I haven't seen before. We started out on the east side of the lake at the Plantersville access. Those hopes came true as I spotted two Eastern Kingbirds. They both were perching high in a tree and took several flights to catch passing insects.








We then went to the west side of the lake to the Hunger Run access. I caught sight of a Scissor-Tailed Flycatch perching on a chain, surveying the open field for insects.











As I got closer, he flew over the pavilion to perch in the open field by the boat access. He stayed there for several minutes, almost posing as I snapped off several pictures.

I have seen Scissor-Tailed Flycatchers before and have taken a few pictures. If you are ever in Pine Bluff at the Pines Mall, take careful notice on the traffic signs around the mall, they are usually perched atop, waiting for their next meal.

No comments:

 

Spring Countdown Timer

Blogging Since June 2007

Nature Blog Network

Search This Blog

Birding Top 500 Counter

My Backyard Regulars

My Backyard Regulars







Add to Technorati Favorites

About Me

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev Site Random Site Next Site
Linking Birders Worldwide Join

Live Traffic Feed