Friday, August 10, 2007

Sweet Sip of Nectar

I have a male Downy Woodpecker that loves the peanuts in the feeder I have in my back yard. He frequents the feeder several times during the day. The Downy is the smallest woodpecker in North America measuring only 6 3/4". Male Downy Woodpeckers have a red patch on the back of the head.

The Downy is very similar to the Hairy Woodpecker in appearance. The Hairy is larger and lacks the dark bars on the outer tail feathers.
I love watching the little woodpecker on the peanut and suet feeder. He has started exhibiting a strange behavior today that I haven't noticed before. He has been sipping nectar from the Hummingbird feeder! I've heard that woodpeckers like fruit so this may be the reason why he likes the sweet, sugar water.

It may be because of the extreme 100 degree heat we've had lately. I've never seen a woodpecker at my bird bath before so I'm not sure where they get water from.
I know where he got some today!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love lurking here. It's a great reminder of the beauty all around us if we'll just look for it.

 

Spring Countdown Timer

Blogging Since June 2007

Nature Blog Network

Search This Blog

Birding Top 500 Counter

My Backyard Regulars

My Backyard Regulars







Add to Technorati Favorites

About Me

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev Site Random Site Next Site
Linking Birders Worldwide Join

Live Traffic Feed